CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Bug Books

Gathering Activity: Bug Table

We explored in our sensory table.  We added greenery, plastic bugs, and magnifying glasses.


 A real bug was crawling on the outside of the tub and this little guy is trying to feed him a leaf.



Circle Time: Bug Books

We did something a little different this week and tried multiple books.  Two would have been just right.  3 was one too many.



The first book was The Very Quiet Cricket by Eric Carle.  A cricket meets many kinds of insects in the story and tries to communicate.  But each time he rubs his wings together, nothing happens, until he meets a girl cricket on the last page.  Then the book makes a beautiful chirping sound.  As we read the story, the children tried to make rub their wings together.  It was very cute.  They were fascinated with the chirping and tried to figure out how I was doing it.  They finally concluded that I must be pushing a button.  (which they were still convinced of even after I showed them how it really worked).




We read Bye-Bye Big Bad Bully Bug by Ed Emberley.  This is a great book with clever writing and even better pictures.  The kids loved when the tennis shoe came and got the mean bug and saved the little bugs.  I liked that the Big Bad Bully Bug then flew away in his spaceship and wasn't actually killed by the tennis shoe.



The last book we pulled out was Miss Spider's Tea Party by David Kirk.   It is a great story which includes friendship lessons, counting, and insect identification.  A lot packed into a very simple and sweet story. 

We also sang The Itsy Bitsy Spider and Raffi's "There's A Spider on Your Head."



Art: Playdough Bugs



The children used playdough, pipe cleaners, googly eyes, beads, and toothpicks to design their own insects.  It was so much fun to see what they each came up with!

Activity:  Bug Hunt




We each brought a bug catcher and the kids enjoyed the rest of the morning searching for bugs and worms.


Activity: Bug Sorting 


We sorted bugs by colors.

Snack: Strawberry Lady Bugs



Materials Needed: Grapes, Strawberries, mini chocolate chips, toothpick

Directions: Assemble to make a ladybug.

5 comments:

aenea

We took the caterpillar we found home and I was going to release it after the older kids had a chance to see it, but it started building a cocoon before the kids even made it home. We are now waiting for our beautiful butterfly (ok - not so beautiful moth) to emerge! Maybe I can bring it with me on Wednesday for everyone to see.

Unknown

All of your bug projects look wonderful. I love the strawberry.

I would love for you to link this to Read.Explore.Learn on Friday.

I Am Rachele

What creative and wonderful play ideas! And everything linked to reading! Thank you so much for sharing at It's Playtime

Rachele @ Messy Kids

Jamie @ hands on : as we grow

Whoops! Wrong link I left: here's this week's It's Playtime!

Jamie @ hands on : as we grow

Ha! I love the playdough bugs! So funny what the kids do! I featured you on this week's It's Playtime!! Love all the sensory ideas you got going on. So much opportunity!

Hope to see what you got this week to share!
Jamie

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I love hearing from the readers of my blog. It makes my day! I have recently had a lot of inappropriate spam that has snuck through, so I am turning on the moderation of comments for a short time, to see if it helps. I am so sorry for any inconvience this may cause, but I want to remain a family friendly blog. -Danielle @Mommy and Me Book Club